Greetings, Goshen Voters! I’m Julia King and I’m running for one of Goshen City Council’s At-Large seats. I’ve spent the past decade focused on strengthening Goshen’s neighborhood associations, first as a volunteer in my own neighborhood and then professionally as the Neighborhood Outreach Coordinator for LaCasa, Inc.
I’ve learned that in every corner of our city, people want the same things: safe, clean neighborhoods where they can raise families and pursue their dreams. People want their trash picked up, the street lights to work, and jobs with decent wages.
I’ve worked with city officials and residents to improve access to Board of Works proceedings that deal with neighborhood-related issues. I’ve also partnered with residents to highlight strengths in their neighborhoods through block parties, community gardens, murals, and even a neighborhood parade. The entire city benefits when neighbors know one another and share the responsibility for building and maintaining the quality of life on their street, their block — in their neighborhood. Goshen is full of talented, skilled residents. A community is at its best when it embraces both valuable traditions and promising innovations.
Thanks to years of strong leadership from Mayor Allan Kauffman and hard work by City Department heads and staff, Goshen is a desirable and thriving community. It will take equally inspired and focused city leaders to not only maintain what is good about Goshen, but make our community even better. I have been an active and long-term community member; I’ve raised my family in Goshen; and I’ve worked in many of Goshen’s neighborhoods to better our community. Here is what I would focus on as your city council member:
Protecting Goshen’s Quality of Place
- Safeguard Goshen’s many treasures, such as bike paths, downtown businesses, the Mill Race, our parks, and First Fridays
- Enhance Goshen’s neighborhoods through better enforcement of the building code and solid waste ordinances
- Explore the use of special courts for property condition violations to more effectively address blighted properties
Attracting Desirable Jobs
- Create conditions that bring and retain well-paying jobs – the kind of jobs that allow workers to support families, purchase homes, and invest in our community
- Utilize tax phase-ins judiciously for new businesses that create stable and rewarding employment in Goshen
- Promote economic development in Community Development Block Grant eligible areas of the city
Promoting Civic Participation and Leadership Development
- Strengthen our Neighborhood Associations
- Support the creation of youth seats on the Community Relations Commission
- Encourage continued Police/Neighborhood partnerships
- Widen public participation on our city commissions and boards through better publicity of service opportunities
- Maximize transparency and public input by encouraging the timely posting of all City Council agendas and minutes
If you would like to be in touch, please contact me by email firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-215-6006.
Donate to my campaign by clicking the button or mail your donation to “King for Council” 312 River Vista Drive, Goshen IN 46526.